Friday, August 26, 2011

3 Hours of Sun, a dry field, and a bag of seeds

             That is all we need in order to have a baseball game and some fellowship.  Today, Friday August 26th, I dropped my kids off at school at approximately 8am. I drove home and started to do some work at my desk, when I receievd a call from Gus Hernandez (boss of the Highlands).  He told me that Luis Hernandez and 40 baseball players from Ozoria park in Boca Chica are on their way to the Highlands to play baseball per your offer.  ok.  I just learned something about the Dominican.  When you offer something to someone and do not hear back, they still might take you up on the offer.  Why you say?  They do not want to use up their minutes on their cell phone.  Or, they just do not think it is necessary.  Now, if I was still in Atlanta and not prepared for a group to come, I probably would have said "no" or "I am sorry".  BUT, I am not in Atlanta and my job now is to be prepared for anything and everything. I am ready.  I felt like a "minuteman" from the Revolutionary War or a fireman from the city.  40 kids were coming to my field to play baseball in an hour whether I was ready or not.
               For the past week it has been raining here.  It has been brutal to sit in a house for consecutive days when you live on an island near the equator.  The kids in the community were feeling it big time.  Every time I drove through town, I had to weave my way through 3 or 4 stick ball games in the street.  (For all of you that read this blog and are under 35 years old google stick ball)  The fields here are flooking more like the Chattahoochie River. 
               4 coaches and 40 kids that were from age 10-14 came to the little league field in front of my house and played baseball for 2+ hours.  Gum, sunflower seeds, water, sliding plays at the plate, homeruns, diving catches and a lot of high fives. You cannot beat it!  So of course...I joined it.  I had the opportunity to serve and talk a lot with the coaches.  It was truly an unexpectedly wonderful time.
              At the end, I spoke a little bit about why I am here in the Dominican and how blessed I am to be with them.  Then, Eddy Jesus (our evangelical director) presented the Gospel in a very interactive and amazing way.  I had the opportunity to pass out New Testaments to each kid and also give them an FCA Dominican rubber wristband.  I explained John 3:30 and told them about Holt Rowland and the work God is doing in this ministry.  It was an amazing 3 hours.

Ezekiel (on the right) was my intern for the day. He committed to a Bible study with me and the opportunity to serve younger players.

Pick-off move


Surprisingly the field was in great shape after 3 days of rain.  The players were wide-eyed when they got to the field.


Eddy Jesus really got the kids fired up for the Lord. 


Showing off their new armbands that say, "mas El, menos yo  Juan 3:30  HR 10  FCA Dominicana


No comments:

Post a Comment