Friday, July 1, 2011

A Tell All Article

     I almost do not know where to start.  The past 4 days have been 150 miles per hour.  We have tried to put our foot on the breaks, but let's face it, it's impossible.  We moved to a different country, a third world country at that.  10 minutes ago I sat on my couch frustrated.  I did not know where the day went. I was not sure what was bothering me, but I definitely was not right.  I did not know where the past 4 days went.  Then I did what I probably need to do more often when I am melting down...I opened up the Bible to where I left off this morning, took a deep breath and just read me some Word.  Amazing!  It helped.  Wow.  No aspirin.  No tv.  No cell phone. No food.  Just God's word.
    Do not get me wrong, the past 4 days have been great.  The people we have come in contact with each day are awesome.  Our neighbors Gus and Illeana are wonderful.  They have worked so hard to make our transition easier.  Eddy Gill, another missionary on campus, has been so helpful to me especially.  Our offices are side by side and he has helped me with so many tasks this week I cannot count them on my hand.  Carolina, another missionary at the office, the security guards: Valentine, Victor, Raphael, Juan, John, Mariano and all the others have shown us so much love with their smiles and helpful actions. But the days have been crazy.  I never thought that buying phones (and setting them up), renting a car, tracking your car in the Caribbean, setting up spanish lessons and then going to them, grocery shopping, buying some furniture, playing with your children, overseeing some missions groups and eating 3 meals per day would be so tiring. 
      After reading Romans 10:14-21 it all became pretty clear why I was frustrated.  Paul starts off by asking how it would be possible for someone to know Jesus unless someone else tells them about Jesus. My favorite verse is,"How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news." He states that faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word of Christ.  He then uses Moses and Isaiah in support of his thoughts that God reveals himself to all of us. In Isaiah, "I revealed myself to those who did not ask for me." He ends with "All day long I have held out my hands to a disobedient and obstinate people."  Awesome!  Oh how he loves us and wants us to tell all.   Last night I also heard a message from the founder of SCORE International Ron Bishop who also spoke about "telling the world about your hope."  He spoke about how excited he was to tell people about what Jesus had done for him, even at 18 years old. He risked all his high school friendships and his reputation by preaching the gospel. So why was I frustrated. What were those messages doing with me. God was tugging at my heart.  He was telling me that all the stuff I have been so busy with the past 4 days, although somewhat important in the settling process, is not why I am here. Having a rental car, email, phone service, or an extra computer will not in itself bring me any joy in the Dominican Republic.  What will will bring me joy you ask?  Conversations with people about who came to this earth 2000 years ago and saved me.  Conversations that will lead to relationships that are rooted and developed by a common love for the creator of the universe.  Simply, telling others about Jesus.
       Hopefully the next time I post on this site it will have a lot of pictures that Jodi has taken over the past few days.  We really wnat y'all to see what it is like down here in the beautiful Dominican Republic.  We want you to see the faces of the people that are supporting and inspiring us every day.  Most importantly, we want you to know that your prayers help us so much and we need you to continue with them.  We hope that this ministry will bless you as much as it blesses us.
       This week we will be visiting the kids school to register them for the next school year.  We also will be starting our first full week of spanish classes.  We are very excited to start the week Sunday at a new church in the capital (Santo Domingo).  We are so pumped up to me our new friends at church. Pleasecontinue to pray that God guides our decisions each and every day.  We love you all.  Praise the Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment