Tuesday, April 17, 2012

So Much to be Thankful For

Let me just say that I use the saying "bittersweet" all the time.  I have never used it and meant it in such a big way.

Last week, FCA DR (The Shaheen Family, Luis Hernandez, Willie Martinez and newby Miguel Terrero) hosted the first annual (or bi-annual) baseball coach's conference at the Highlands.  We hosted 60+ coaches from Hato Mayor, La Romana, San Pedro de Macoris, Boca Chica and Santo Domingo from Wednesday to Saturday.  It ended up being everything and more than we could have imagined.  God was in control of the whole conference and He was praised and worshipped the every moment.  I would like to write down some of the highlights from the 4 days.

* Boston Red Sox pitching instructor Amaury Telemaco (Dominican, played 8 years in Big League) started us out on Wednesday night with a great message about doing everything for God's glory.  He grew up in a batey with 8 brothers and sisters near La Romana and became a very good player.  He spoke about Jesus for the whole time and gave his testimony.  We did a Q&A after so that the coaches could ask baseball questions.  Amaury and I started what hopes to be a great and long relationship. 

* We split the coaches up into 6 small groups (Bible studies).  We met 7 times in our small groups in order to study a particular topic from the FCA Devotional or to discuss what a speaker shared.  The small group meeting after watching the movie "Courageous" was particularly emotional and special.  I have no problem saying that this was the best and most significant part of the clinic along with the Praise and Worship each night.  Many coaches came up to me after the small group meetings and asked for more time in those groups. 

* Two speakers in particular were especially significant because they were not even scheduled.  Going into the conference we did not have one clinic spot covered.  I was not sure what to do, but I knew God would provide the answer at some point.  Well, he did.  After talking with Amaury Telemaco over dinner Wednesday night, I asked him if he knew someone who could come last minute.  Guess what?  He did.  He ended up sending us Wilton Veras who played a bunch of years for the Red Sox at 3rd base and outfield.  Wilton now coaches for the Sox in the DR and is also a disciple of Jesus Christ like Amaury.  Wilton, like Amaury, shared his heart for an hour and then answered some good questions.  Both men were very intentional about their faith.  The other really special situation came when I bumped into the strength and conditioning coach for the SF Giants academy team.  I already knew he is a disciple of Jesus and shares his testimony all the time.  I asked if he would like to share a message with the coaches before lunch Friday and he said, "Claro que si" (that means 'of course").  His name is Soriano and he did an amazing job sharing about his faith journey.  Two huge blessings!

* Other speakers: Luis Silvestre (Hitting), Pedro de la Cruz (Infield), Gus Hernandez (Baserunning), David Franco (Mental Side of Game) and Mike Shaheen (Pitching - who is he?) did a fine job presenting baseball drills and also sharing their heart.  Every coach that I spoke to during the conference said that they learned a lot and enjoy how each coach shared their faith.

* Watching "Courageous", swimming in the pool, and playing a softball game were moments of fun and opportunities for all the coaches to spend quality time together.  Many great conversations about family, team and food were held before, during and after those events.  The loser of the softball game had to bring the winning team their dinner after the game.  That was fun.  I love playing for something and competing.

* My 3 FCA DR leaders did an amazing job supporting me throughout the clinic.  Miguel, our newest staff member, spent the whole conference doing the dirty work.  Anything I needed him to do, he did.  Great job, Miguel!  Luis played a huge role in being the dorm leader and person in charge when I was not there. (I will write later about why I had to poke my head out for a few moments)  Thank you, Luis!  Willie did an amazing job as a small group leader and as our big presenter on Friday night.  He shared about some of the trials in his life and how God rescued him.  Willie's presence is huge figuratively and literally.  Everyone loves being around him.  His wife is pregnant and sick and yet he still helped out a lot.  Thank you, Willie!  Just an overall great team effort.

*  I would also like to thank Eddy Jesus, Gus Hernandez, Craig McClure and Omar Altagracia.  Eddy was the MC of the whole clinic and did an amazing job.  He is very funny and very good at presenting to any types of groups.  Eddy finished us off with a great Gospel message on Saturday morning.  Thank you, Eddy!  Gus is the leader of the Highlands facility and is the former head baseball coach at Tennessee Temple.  He did an amazing job running the show, presenting baserunning, and sharing a devotion to all the coaches.  Thank you, Gus!  Craig and Omar are the Pastors in San Jose.  They have always been there for me whenever I have needed them.  They are selfless men that love Jesus.  They are true servants.  Omar led our praise and worship, which by the way, rocked.  Every coach was singing praises and rocking it out.  Thank you, Omar!  Craig did a 5 star job presenting the topic of love on Saturday morning.  Craig looks like he should be playing bass for Whitesnake, but leads a church better than anyone I know.  Craig's biggest moment at the clinic was actually not at the clinic.  That leads me back to the beginning of this write up about it being bitter-sweet.  Clearly the clinic was sweet.  It was amazing.  7 men made commitments and accepted Christ as their Lord and Savior.  I am so excited to spend time with those guys.

*  Ok, so what was bitter?  Well, my baby girl, Gracie, became really ill on Wednesday night.  Yes, of course that would happen the opening night of the conference.  After a whole night of vomitting, Jodi took Grace to the clinic/hospital Thursday morning.  Craig (my hero) went with Jodi because he is fluent in spanish and also very knowledgeable about Dominican life.  I am so thankful that Craig was willing to spend a whole day with my love and my little girl.  He did a great job.  After spending a night with Grace in the hospital (not sleeping), I went to the conference and taught about pitching.  It was a great achievement in my life (haha).  Grace got better and came home Friday afternoon.  I was so worried about my little girl and am so thankful that God took care of us in that scary moment. I also want to especially thank Whitney Franco (wife of David - speaker) for watching Wyman while Jodi and I were tending to Grace and the Clinic.  Whitney, you are awesome!

*  I am so thankful that we have an amazing God.  He is so faithful.  I am so grateful that He has allowed us to live here in the DR and spend each day "recruiting" people for Christ.  Jodi and I have so many great people that God has placed in our lives here. 

*  Every coach that attended the conference received free bus rides, 8 meals, room and board, swimming, softball, speakers, a movie, a shirt, devotional, New Testament and an armband all for free. I am so thankful to those people that support this ministry so that we could pay for this clinic.

Here is a video that Jodi made using the pictures from the conference.  She will replace this video with a better one (video footage) on a later date:


No comments:

Post a Comment